US Official: Iran and US Agree to Halt Attacks and Renew Talks
A US official announced on Sunday that the United States and Iran have agreed to halt recent hostilities in the Gulf and renew talks regarding their dispute over the Strait of Hormuz. The development aims to salvage a Pakistan-brokered interim peace deal that was under pressure from days of retaliatory strikes.
“Technical talks are slated to continue on all areas of the memorandum of understanding (MoU). Both sides will stand down for now and vessels can move freely,” the official said. This refers to a 14-point agreement from June 17 intended to reopen the vital shipping lane. Iran has not immediately commented on the US statement.
According to reports citing a senior US official, talks are expected to resume on Tuesday in Qatar.
The move towards diplomacy follows a recent escalation. On Thursday, an Iranian projectile struck a cargo vessel in the Strait of Hormuz, after which both sides accused the other of breaking the June 17 interim ceasefire. Early on Sunday, Iran launched missiles and drones at US military sites in Kuwait and Bahrain. The US military also confirmed it had struck Iran again after a tanker was hit in the strait.
Separately, Israel said on Sunday it had struck Iran-backed Hezbollah militants in Lebanon. Iran maintains that the fighting in Lebanon must end for the wider agreement to be sustained.
Latest Updates
Updated: 2:35 AM PKT — June 30, 2026
Following the announcement of a de-escalation agreement between the United States and Iran, Iranian official Masoud Pezeshkian has reportedly described the memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the US as a “major victory for the Iranian people.”
However, available reports also indicate that a Lebanese Sunni group has rejected the agreement, which has been referred to as the “Washington Framework.”
Updated: 2:02 AM PKT — June 30, 2026
Following earlier reports of a US-Iran agreement to de-escalate hostilities, new questions have emerged regarding the stability of the understanding. Reports on June 29 suggest that a possible misinterpretation of the agreement may have led to a renewal of tensions between the two countries.
Additionally, a new claim by former US President Donald Trump has been reported, adding another layer of complexity to the situation. Iran has not yet issued a public statement in response to these developments.
Updated: 12:56 AM PKT — June 30, 2026
As diplomatic talks between the United States and Iran are anticipated in Doha, former US President Donald Trump has reportedly issued a special message regarding Iran, calling the upcoming day “important.”
Separately, reports on June 29-30 indicate that Iran has made a “final announcement” regarding its position on the conflict, though the specific details of the statement have not yet been clarified.
Updated: 12:21 AM PKT — June 30, 2026
Reports on June 29 have cast uncertainty over the previously announced technical talks between the United States and Iran, which were expected to take place in Doha. The status of the negotiations, aimed at de-escalating tensions in the Gulf, now appears unclear.
Updated: 11:46 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
Iran has denied reports of an agreement with the United States to halt hostilities and renew talks in Qatar, according to reports on June 29.
The denial follows an earlier announcement by a US official that a deal had been reached. Separately, former US President Donald Trump also commented on the matter, stating that negotiations would be held in Doha.
Updated: 10:35 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
US President Donald Trump on Monday confirmed that talks with Iran will take place in Doha, stating that the meeting was requested by Tehran. The confirmation follows an earlier announcement that both countries had agreed to de-escalate hostilities and renew diplomatic efforts.
Separately, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is scheduled to brief the US Congress on the agreement with Iran, according to available reports.
Updated: 9:22 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
Major stock markets in the Gulf ended lower on Monday, June 29, as investor uncertainty continued over the durability of the US-Iran agreement to de-escalate hostilities. Saudi Arabia’s benchmark index fell 1.1%, while Dubai’s main share index eased 0.4% and Abu Dhabi’s index was also down 0.4%.
The market unease came despite some operational resumptions in the region. On Friday, Saudi Aramco reportedly resumed crude oil loadings at its Ras Tanura terminal, west of the Strait of Hormuz, after a halt of nearly four months.
In a separate development, available reports indicate that Iran and Oman held their first joint meeting to discuss the Strait of Hormuz.
Pakistan News will update this story as more confirmed details become available.
Updated: 8:11 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
Iran on June 29 rejected claims of an agreement for a new round of negotiations with the United States, contradicting an earlier announcement by a US official.
While the US had stated that talks would resume in Doha, Iranian officials have reportedly said that “nothing is scheduled.” The development casts doubt on a potential de-escalation of hostilities in the Gulf.
Updated: 7:31 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, has denied media reports that technical talks with the United States were scheduled to take place in Doha, Qatar, this week.
Gharibabadi stated that reports regarding a technical working group meeting between Tehran and Washington in Doha are unconfirmed. He clarified that the first round of technical talks under the recently signed memorandum of understanding will only be held after certain conditions are met and a date and location are mutually agreed upon.
The Iranian official added that consultations are ongoing with Qatar and other mediating countries regarding the implementation of US commitments.
Updated: 6:19 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
The White House confirmed on Monday that senior envoys for US President Donald Trump will travel to Doha for high-level talks on Tuesday. Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner are scheduled to attend the meetings to discuss the memorandum of understanding signed on June 17.
White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said that technical talks would continue on the sidelines of the high-level meetings. “As far as we’re concerned, we’re holding up our end of the ceasefire. Violence will be met with violence,” Leavitt stated.
However, Iran appeared to cast doubt on the announcement. Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi stated that no formal meetings with US officials are currently scheduled to take place in Qatar, creating uncertainty over whether the talks will proceed.
Pakistan News will update this story as more confirmed details become available.
Updated: 5:44 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
Conflicting statements have emerged regarding planned talks between Iran and the United States. On Monday, Iran’s foreign ministry denied reports that technical teams from the two countries would meet in the coming days.
Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi was quoted by state TV saying, “No technical meetings of the working groups are planned for this week.”
However, US President Donald Trump later posted on his social media platform that Iran had requested a meeting. “IT WILL TAKE PLACE TOMORROW IN DOHA!” the post on Monday stated.
Separately, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Monday that steps were underway to unfreeze $6 billion of Iranian assets held in Qatar.
Updated: 5:08 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
Prior to the agreement for the United States and Iran to resume talks on Tuesday in Qatar, a senior Iranian official reportedly stated that Iran had not participated in technical talks scheduled for Sunday.
The official cited recent US attacks and alleged violations of a memorandum of understanding as the reason for not attending the Sunday session.
Updated: 3:18 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
Following an announcement from a US official about an agreement to halt hostilities, the Iranian President has reportedly issued a statement regarding the accord. The specific details of the statement were not immediately available.
The development comes as both sides are expected to resume talks in Doha, Qatar, on Tuesday to de-escalate tensions in the Gulf and discuss a previously brokered memorandum of understanding.
Updated: 1:57 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
The agreement to de-escalate followed a significant flare-up over the weekend. Early on Sunday, Iran launched missiles and drones targeting U.S. military sites in Kuwait and Bahrain. According to reports, this action came shortly after threats were issued by the U.S. president against Iran.
In a related development, the Kuwaiti army stated it had intercepted two ballistic missiles without any resulting damage or casualties.
Separately, Israel reported on Sunday that it had conducted another strike against Iran-backed Hezbollah militants in southern Lebanon, destroying underground infrastructure. This followed a similar Israeli strike on Saturday.
Updated: 1:22 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
The agreement between the United States and Iran to renew diplomatic talks has had an immediate effect on global commodity markets. On Monday, copper prices saw gains following the news, with the most-active contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange rising 1.32% and benchmark copper on the London Metal Exchange up 0.34% as of 0700 GMT.
However, investor sentiment remains cautious after reports that both Washington and Tehran have accused each other of violating an interim ceasefire. This has contributed to a 0.8% rise in Brent crude prices. In Asia, Indian shares were set for a muted opening on Monday as investors weighed the diplomatic progress against lingering geopolitical risks.
Updated: 12:15 PM PKT — June 29, 2026
As the United States and Iran move to de-escalate hostilities, available reports on June 29 suggest the US has made a new demand as part of the ongoing discussions. The specific nature of this demand has not yet been clarified.
In the first comments from an Iranian official on the matter, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stated that under the understanding with the United States, the responsibility to keep the Strait of Hormuz fully open rests solely with Tehran. Speaking during a visit to Iraq, he added that any interference could disrupt the process and increase tensions.
[activity-stream-raw include=”76809,76816,76796,76763,76765,76735,76741,76753,76711,76690,76694,76636,76648,76652,76530,76531,76548,76290,76303,76408,76366,76233,76325,76206,76263,76067,76237,76198,76251,76118,76115,76127,76160,76063,76064,76074,76096,76002,75897,76035,76055,75865,75872,75884,75858,75591,75674,75635,75647,75648,75604,75668,75573,75503,75514,75532,75438,75442,75462″ per_page=20 display_comments=0 sort=DESC]
Comments