Skip to main content

UEFA Slams FIFA’s ‘Unjustifiable’ Balogun Decision After Trump Intervention

Story so far

FIFA has temporarily suspended the one-match ban on United States forward Folarin Balogun, allowing him to play in the USA’s FIFA World Cup 2026 Round of 16 match against Belgium. Balogun received a red card and an automatic one-match suspension during the United States’ match against Bosnia and Herzegovina on July 2. However, FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee has deferred the ban's implementation for one year, making the striker eligible for the knockout fixture on July 7.

Latest updates

United States President Donald Trump confirmed on Monday that he personally asked FIFA President Gianni Infantino to review the red card issued to US striker Folarin Balogun.

Speaking to reporters, Trump described the referee's decision as a "horrible" call and said he did not believe it was a fair foul. "That wasn't a foul. That was two guys running whole speed that happened to crash into each other," he stated. Trump added that he only asked for a review and did not tell FIFA what to do, calling the subsequent decision to suspend the card "really brilliant."

The intervention has reportedly prompted an angry response from Belgium, who are set to play the US in the Round of 16 match.

The decision to suspend the ban has reportedly become controversial, with available information suggesting an intervention by Donald Trump in the matter.

European football body UEFA has strongly criticised FIFA’s decision to suspend the red-card ban for US striker Folarin Balogun, calling the move “unprecedented, incomprehensible and unjustifiable.”

In a statement on Monday, UEFA said the decision undermines the integrity of the game. The development came after reports that American President Donald Trump had called FIFA President Gianni Infantino to ask for a review of the red card, which would have suspended Balogun from the Round of 16 match against Belgium.

The Royal Belgian Football Association (RBFA) stated it was “astonished” by the decision and has lodged an appeal with FIFA.

Reports have surfaced suggesting a possible connection between a phone call from US President Donald Trump and FIFA's decision to suspend the player's ban. However, this claim has not been officially confirmed.

Following the decision, United States President Donald Trump has publicly thanked FIFA.

Sources and updates

Responses

>